Saturday 4 March 2017

DIY Crochet Accessories

The past few weeks I've been concentrating on making crochet blankets for the charity sixty million trebles and I am really not used to making projects this big. I normally make Amigurumi or other smaller type projects. So making larger projects is something new to me and it was putting a strain on my 'Yarn holding finger' which I have never really had much experience of before. Luckily I had already made a finger saver (find the pattern for my finger saver Here).

The finger saver has been a literal finger saver and after messing around with it for a while I realised I could change the tension with it! I am not the brightest spark so if this is nothing new to those who crochet then accept my apologies.

So weaving the Yarn through the finger saver once like this:


Gives very low tension which was not enough tension for my liking so I thought what would happen if I weave the Yarn through it more, surely the tension would increase, so I gave it a whirl:


Alas it worked, the tension was increased. This felt quite comfortable for this project but I decided to weave more to see what happened...again more tension, too much for this project but it could be useful later on. I'm quit glad I tried this out because now I can crochet for much longer with a nice tension without my finger wanting to give up.

The other thing I have just started to do is use a bowl with a bulldog clip attached to it as a Yarn bowl:


I have never needed a Yarn bowl before due to small projects but wow did this make life a lot easier.

So that's two accessories I am currently using to help with my bigger charity projects and I have made both from stuff I had lying around the house!



Hook off.

Update: see the finished blanket seen in this post Here

Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment